Why is it that active people and highly effective exercisers can’t imagine not exercising, while others can’t imagine how to begin and keep exercising? Those who get ''hooked'' and stay consistently exercising and active year after year share some common habits and mindsets. Here are some key ways you can stay consistent and become one of those "highly effective exercisers".
1. Make exercise a non-negotiable. It is a high priority, and there are no excuses. It is not about having enough time to work out; it's about taking the time to work out. If it's a priority for you, you'll find the time. Now, this doesn't mean that highly active people necessarily love exercise, but they do it anyway. Some people are lucky enough to enjoy and look forward to their workouts, but many people don't—However, active people value consistent exercise and know it's just something they have to do no matter what.
2. Don't just exercise to look better; exercise for your health. Find the bigger cause behind what you are doing. Having the mindset that regular physical activity is one of the most important things you can do to protect your mental and physical health will change your attitude around working out. This can be a major driving force that keeps fitness a consistent part of your life.
3. Highly Effective Exercisers make exercise something to look forward to. Going for a hike in the fall to enjoy the foliage, meeting a friend for tennis, or walking with their spouse after dinner makes exercise more enjoyable. Others might attach a reoccurring reward to exercise, like a relaxing visit to the gym sauna after a tough workout. Coupling exercise with another enjoyable event makes it easier (and more fun) to stay consistent with a routine.
4. Engage in exercise that suits your personality type. Not every class type or workout is a great fit for every person. Just like our body types, what excites us about working out will be as unique as you are. Some people love running, others dread the treadmill. Some go to Zumba every single day, while others prefer Edge Strong Classes. It all boils down to passion and motivation. If you find an exercise that you truly enjoy, one that brings you closer to your goals, you'll be much more likely to stick with your fitness plan. The key is to find out what you enjoy and go from there! Read more about finding your perfect workout match!
5. Don't be afraid to try new activities. Workouts can get boring if you don't switch it up! Constantly doing the same activity or sport will lead to a fitness plateau, not to mention boredom. When workout boredom strikes, try a new group x class, work with one of our personal trainers, or sign up for a race to keep you motivated!
6. Lastly, stay flexible. All or nothing is not a good approach and can steer you away from staying consistent. There are times in life when exercise has to come second. Missing a workout will not make or break you, just pick up where you left off the next time around. If you don't have a full hour to devote to a workout, just getting in a 20-minute sweat session will do the trick!