Swimming is a good all-round activity because it:
- keeps your heart rate up but takes some of the impact stress off your body
- builds endurance, muscle strength and cardiovascular fitness
- helps you maintain a healthy weight, healthy heart and lungs
- ones muscles and builds strength
- provides an all-over body workout, as nearly all of your muscles are used during swimming
Whether you're looking to lose weight, tone muscles, mix up your workout routine, or improve your mental health - swimming is a great workout for everyone! Swimming is a very low impact exercise because you bounce and float your way through the workout rather than putting pressure and stress on your joints. Also, you can burn between 400-500 calories per hour while in the water! Swimming is also a great way to tone up your core without having to do a ton of sit ups. You naturally use your core while swimming.
Swimming has many other benefits including:
- being a relaxing and peaceful form of exercise
- alleviating stress
- improving coordination, balance and posture
- improving flexibility
- providing good low-impact therapy for some injuries and conditions
- it's FUN!
Try swimming as an exercise this summer and let us know what you think!