With the upcoming barbecues, parties, and summer entertaining, it’s key to have refreshing dishes that are quick and easy. Check out these 5 clean, refreshing side dishes that can be enjoyed all summer long! Spruce up your meal prep, or be the star of your next picnic with these delicious dishes!
• 3 cups watermelon
• ½ cup shallot
• 3 leaves basil
• 1 small jalapeño
• Lime juice and zest
• Cracked black pepper
- This Watermelon salad is almost as easy to make as it sounds. First step is to cut your 3 cups of watermelon into cubes.
- Next, chop up the shallots, basil, and jalapeños.
- After that, put all four ingredients into a mixing bowl and toss them around until it’s mixed to your liking.
- Finally, add as much lime juice, zest, and cracked black pepper as you want.
- Let it chill for at least 15 minutes then dig in!
Grilled Sweet Potatoes
• 2 tbsp Cilantro
• 1 Garlic clove
• 2 Sweet potatoes, medium
• 1/2 tsp Agave nectar
• 2 tbsp Lime juice, fresh
• 3/4 tsp Kosher salt
• 1/2 tsp Pepper, ground
• 2 tbsp Olive oil
• 1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil, extra virgin
- Before you start the potatoes, make your dressing. Simply whisk together your cilantro, olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and agave nectar.
- To start the sweet potatoes, place them in a large pot of boiling water until they are cooked through, which will take about 20 minutes.
- Then take out the sweet potatoes and place them on a cutting board.
- As you are letting the potatoes rest, turn on the grill to high heat and lightly grease your grill.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooled down, gently slice them into ¼ inch circles and brush them with olive oil.
- Season the circled sweet potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the circled sweet potatoes on the grill and cook them for 2 and a half minutes on each side until they have grill marks.
- Take them off the grill and onto a serving platter and put as much of your dressing as you would like. Enjoy!
Avocado Pineapple Cucumber Salad
• Lime Juice
- Chop up your pineapple, avocado, and cucumbers into large chunks. As much of each ingredient as you like.
- Put cilantro and lime juice into mixture and toss.
- Season with salt to taste.
• 1 pound fresh okra rinsed and dried
• 2 tablespoons avocado or canola oil
• 3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 425F and cover a baking sheet with tin foil.
- Before placing sheet into the oven, place okra onto the baking sheet
- Drizzle olive oil onto the okra. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, and pepper onto the okra.
- Mix it all together until the okra is evenly coated.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Take out sheet and allow a few minutes to cool then dig in!
Snap Pea Bowl
• 4 strips bacon, chopped
• 1 lb sugar snap peas, or snow peas
• ½ tsp sea or kosher salt
• 1 tsp cracked black pepper
• ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
• 1 tbsp lemon juice
• 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Place your cast iron skillet over high heat.
- Add chopped bacon and cook for about 6-7 minutes until the fat renders and the bacon is crispy. Stir occasionally.
- Take all but one teaspoon of bacon fat from the skillet and add snap peas, salt, and pepper.
- Pan roast the peas and frequently toss them to keep them moving. Do this for about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add mint, lemon zest, and lemon juice.
- Toss everything together and serve!